how to get stable bookmarked directory?

I have firefox on FC3.
When I try to use a bookmark to a directory,
instead of getting a directory listing in
my browser window the way I would if I typed
in the address, I get it in a transient submenu.
Some of my directories are large enough for
that to be really inconvenient.
How do I get firefox to act as if I had typed
in the address?

--
Mike   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"There are three kinds of people,