Sensors-Detect Bug

Using Gkrellm, I can view several of my system's sensors (voltage, temp, etc), but I wanted something better incorporated into the panel. So I installed the sensors-applet. Unfortunately, the applet reported "no sensors found" even though Gkrellm has no problem finding sensors. I then ran sensors-detect, which wrote /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors, and after a reboot the panel was able to read the sensors.

Unfortunately, an intolerable side-effect of this configuration is my CPU fan now runs full-blast all the time, regardless of CPU activity. If I comment out any of the lines in /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors and reboot, my fan runs normally, but of course the sensor-applet can't find any sensors.

This is immensely frustrating. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is it a bug or am I misconfiguring something? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris