Re: NFS Doesn't Exist Error

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 13:40, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> > Your uids/gids seem out of sync between client and server, i.e. you need
> > to synchronize your client's and server's uid/gid system (c.f.
> > nsswitch.conf).
> >
> > I.e. you typically will have to synchonize /etc/passwd and /etc/groups
> > and might want to add a network wide passwd/groups system, such as
> > nis/yp.
>
> Since you seem knowledgeable, and since this seems to be right
> up the alley for this thread, I'd like some advice...
>
> I do contract work at home. I have no real LAN, just one manchine.
> But when on occasion I need to go to the office which employs me
> we hook up. We do not have synchronized UIDs. I obviously don't
> want to use NIS at home (or do I?). Yet, when at their office,
> I can't just use NFS to transfer files from my machines to theirs.
> I have to use FTP in order to get the UID correct on their machine.

If it's an infrequent thing, use:
rsync -essh localfile... user@remote_host:/path/to/destination
or the reverse so you can control the user ids at both ends.
With appropriate options, rsync will recurse through directories
and it only copies things that aren't already there.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx