Re: Samba and XP SP2 no love

Ankush Grover wrote:

On 8/18/05, Information for Huge Designs <information@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi All,

I am having ALOT of trouble getting samba working a FC4 system I admin.

I have 10 XP SP2 clients all trying to log into the server. If I go to map
network drive I type the shares in like say \\apollo.local\common the
server returns a request for a user name and password but even if I put
the correct password in, it just pops back with user name and password.

In the log files there is one for each machine but they are all empty.
In the smb.log then NMB.log is a littel diffrent it keeps saying
[root@apollo samba]# tail nmbd.log
 *****

 Samba name server APOLLO is now a local master browser for workgroup
MYGROUP on subnet 192.168.11.200

 *****
The MyGROUP is alittle troublesome cause if you look below at the smb.conf
I have clearly named it WORKGROUP

I have checked my smb config with testpram and it works fine the server
starts and is running.

Things I have tried,
Turning off firewalls on both machines
creating new users and adding the users to samba users
creating new groups and adding the users to them

did you mapped windows users to the samba users in smbusers file

like john is the user on linux and john on windows is johnw

then entry in the smbusers should be
john = johnw

Regards

Ankush Grover
Wait you mean that the windows user even in a workgroup is going to dictate what the user name is in SMB? Do I need to make Machine accounts?

For clearity I am just using a workgroup there is no domain.

Also when the I go to map the drive the user login dialog box pops up and it is blank and then when I try to user with a good user name and password (smb user/passwords) it 1 doesnt log in , 2 it pops back up with one of 2 things either the workstation name and then a / and the user name like accounting/user1 or appoll.local/user1 either way I cant log in.

Any more ideas? I am googlen so hard I am bout to fall out.

Thanks

Erin