Re: httpd newbie / access denied, no permission to ~userid

Hi

But perhaps I should be more explicit:  If, *I*
set something as world readable, apart from I feel that it ought to do
precisely what I just set it as, why cannot the system also be able to
set the appropriate SELinux restrictions at the same time?
A good question. This goes back to the fundamental concept of SELinux. Its based on objects ( read it as processes for simplicity). The traditional form of Linux security is based on users. Users can set their files to world readable and it becomes "world readable". This can be a potential security issue. SELinux policies sit on top of traditional security checks as a additional layer and puts control on the hands of the administrator. So if the policies controlled by the administrator restrict access, it follows that instead of the classical file permissions. You could have SELinux tools read file permissions and ignore the policies when its set to world readable, but that would compromise on the whole object based security model of SELinux.

regards
Rahul