Re: SCSI scanner device ownership and permissions

| From: Mick Mearns <off_by_1@xxxxxxxxx>

| look at
| http://www.8ung.at/klappnase/scsiaddgui/scsiaddgui.html

It seems to be dead (404).

| which is a GUI for scsiadd.
| http://llg.cubic.org/tools/scsiadd-1.95.tar.gz

http://llg.cubic.org/tools/index.html#scsiadd

It isn't clear that this is for 2.6 kernels.  The README says:

    Please be aware that this program makes important and non-trivial
    changes to the kernel runtime configuration. It is possible for
    the kernel to crash or corrupt data, when using this tool.

This scares me a lot.  I'd rather use the ugly echo command that is
blessed by proc(5):

	echo 'scsi add-single-device 0 0 5 0' >/proc/scsi/scsi
	                                   ^ LUN
	                                 ^ SCSI ID
	                               ^ host adapter channel
	                             ^ host adapter

This does seem awkward, leaving a lot of room for improvement.

Thanks for the suggestions.