Re: explanation of yum.cron + a little frustration.

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Erik Hemdal wrote:
If anyone has a suggestion, or better, an example, for how you could
profitably modify yum-daily.yum, I would be grateful to see it.

I am a great fan of yum -
it is probably the main reason I run Fedora -
but I agree with those who say that yum.cron is excessively complicated.

A simple entry in /etc/yum.daily/ would have been preferable, in my view.

The yum entry *is* a sinple entry in /etc/cron.daily; the yum "service" simply provides a convenient and easy way to enable or disable it.

I think the "service" mechanism should be reserved for daemons.

The yum cron job is running from the cron daemon; if it was a separate daemon, it would be sitting there all the time, taking up resources, waiting for its time of the day to run. Running from cron is much more efficient.

While the additional complication in this case is not too bad,
it is very important, IMHO, to keep Linux administration as simple and consistent as possible.

I don't see any reason to treat yum any differently
from the other entries in /etc/cron.daily , like logrotate and tetex.

Neither of these provide a convenient way to disable/reenable the cron job whilst retaining all other functionality. Many people don't want yum to run from cron but do want to retain yum functionality for manual operations. I really don't see a problem with the way this works

Paul.