Re: FC4 File system corrupted. Help!

The FC4 Rescue Disk reports that my Linux partition is not a vaid partition. Same from the Knoppix 3.3 CD.
Lloyd Hayes

Email: lloyd545220-trucker@xxxxxxxxx
E-FAX Number: (208) 248-6590
Web Journal: http://lloyd_hayes.bravejournal.com/

Craig White wrote:
On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 21:09 -0600, Lloyd Hayes wrote:

I got the bug in my Thunderbird email the other day. Today, I decided

to un-install Thunderbird and re-install it using 'Yum Extender'

Bad move. Yum Extender froze while doing this. After letting it sit
for a half hour, I did a force quit on it.

Afterwards I tried loading Synaptic to do the same thing. It would
not start.

I logged out as a user, intending to log back in as root. I got a
small red screen approximate 800x600 pixels in size, and I get a
message that it can not load my graphical desktop. I had the line
commands only, and most of those are cut off by the outer blue
screen.

I rebooted.

I got the message that my file system was corrupted and Selinux was
preventing repairs. It stated that it had disabled selinux. It needed
my root password.

When I typed in the root password, I got this:

:repairing volume 1:

It is sitting there waiting for something, but I do not know what. If
I simply type in "yes", I see a bunch of odd characters appear on
that small red screen, then it goes blank. Nothing appears to be
happening with my hard drive.

I can really use some help to recover some files here.

----
at the :repairing volume 1: prompt...

e2fsck -fy /dev/hda1
substitute freely for hda1 for other partitions or logical devices

Craig

fsck reports too many bad blocks. It attempts to copy them, but I
think that it is simply running out of room. I have an 18 GB partition
for Win XP and a 10 GB partition for FC4. There was about 2 GB free
the last time I looked at the FC4 partition.

I have a 2nd older laptop computer running FC3 which has not been
updated recently. It works fine. I don't think that I'll update it
all. I'm going to give up on FC4. It simply has too many problems...

-----
you are mixing a number of issues together and not giving/seeing a clear
picture.

- bad blocks is not a software issue. it is a hard drive issue. if you
have bad blocks on a hard drive, you probably need to copy everything
off to another hard drive.

- FC4, is fairly experimental, reflecting the stated goals of Fedora to
be more towards the bleeding edge. If what you want is tested and stable
Linux, things like RHEL 4 or CentOS 4 are likely to be more to your
liking.

if you run 'man e2fsck', you will find things like a '-c' option for
more handling of bad block issues

Craig