Re: Sending hostname with DHCP

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 10:37 -0500, Todd Nine wrote:

> I'm actually using the domain nine.homelinux.com, since homelinux.com
> is a dyndns.org owned domain.

You still might have problems, and you shouldn't use someone else's
domain name!  I can't emphasise that enough.  You could find a cheap
registrar, and get your own.  You could use one of the domains that are
set up for this sort of thing (test, localhost, as I did with
my .localhost examples).

(I'm replying quickly now, I don't have much spare time, I'll reply in
more depth later on.)

I'd chmod to rwx------, though the timeout errors are something else.

>   My dns and dhcp server is my router at 192.168.0.1, so it is the
> default route and the default dns host.

Is your DNS server configured to allow other local clients to query it?
Likewise, with firewalling (does it allow them through).

>   On my fc4 box, marge, I can get the name "marge.nine.homelinux.com"
> from the hostname command.  Below is my /etc/resolv.conf created by
> the dhcp client.
>

> ; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
> search nine.homelinux.com
> nameserver 192.168.0.1
>

> Here is my db.nine.homelinux.com file.  I keep getting a warning about
> unexpected end of input near line 6 (the closing paren)
>
> $ttl 38400
> nine.homelinux.com.    IN    SOA    homer.nine.homelinux.com. 1123345344 (
>             10802
>             3600
>             604800
>             38400
>             )
> nine.homelinux.com.    IN    NS    homer.nine.homelinux.com.
>
> homer.nine.homelinux.com.    IN    A    192.168.0.1
> router.nine.homelinux.com.    IN    CNAME    homer.nine.homelinux.com.

Make some changes, like this, put the serial number *inside* the
brackets, not before it:

nine.homelinux.com.    IN    SOA    homer.nine.homelinux.com. (
	1123345344	; serial
	10802		; refresh
	3600		; retry
	604800		; expire
	38400		; ttl
	)

> And here is my named.conf.  It seems everything is correct, do you see
> anything I am missing?
> // generated by named-bootconf.pl
>
> include "/etc/rndc.key";
> options {
>     directory "/var/named";
>     /*
>      * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
>      * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
>      * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
>      * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
>      * port by default.
>      */
>     // query-source address * port 53;
> };
>
> //
> // a caching only nameserver config
> //
> controls {
>     inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { rndckey; };
> };
> zone "." IN {
>     type hint;
>     file "named.ca";
> };
>
> zone "localhost" IN {
>     type master;
>     file "localhost.zone";
>     allow-update { none; };
> };
>
> zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
>     type master;
>     file "named.local";
>     allow-update { none; };
> };
>

> zone "nine.homelinux.com" {
>     type master;
>     file "/var/named/db.nine.homelinux.com";
>     allow-update {
>         key rdnckey;
>         };
>     };

You shouldn't need the whole filepath to the zone file, if you're
putting it in the same directory as it expects to find zone files (the
same as the other zone files).

I think you'll need to insert this somewhere into the named.conf file:

        include "/etc/rndc.key";

Post us your current /etc/dhcpd.conf file here, too.  (If you've since
modified it.)

I read messages from the public lists.