Re: how to print to a network printer which locates in a Windows network

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 11:41, Gavin Li wrote:
> I want to print to network printer from my linux box, which software do I
> have to install and config?

If possible I would recommend enabling lpr support on the windows print
server and using lpr from the linux boxes to print.  I have found this
to be much more reliable than using smb printing and you don't have to
configure the print service with a windows userid and password.

On windows 2000 you go to control panel -> network and dial up
connections -> advanced -> optional networking components -> Other
network file and print services

Once that is selected you may also need to go to the services tool and
make sure TCP/IP print services is set to start automatically.

I suspect this should be similar in Windows XP.

Then in your linux system use system-config-printer and select a
networked lpr print queue type and input the IP address of the windows
server and the queue name of the printer.  You should be printing test
pages in no time.