Nautilus missing sidebar, address bar

My Nautilus windows are missing the sidebar and address bar as well as the options to turn them on/off from the VIEW menu. The help system says:

You can show and hide file browser window components as follows:

To hide the side pane, choose View-> Side Pane. To display the side pane again, choose View -> Side Pane again. To hide the toolbar, choose View -> Toolbar. To display the toolbar again, choose View -> Toolbar again. To hide the location bar, choose View -> Location Bar. To display the location bar again, choose View -> Location Bar again. To hide the statusbar, choose View -> Statusbar. To display the statusbar again, choose View -> Statusbar again

but there are no such items on the View menu.

I don't know how they got removed. How do I get them back?
--

  Steve