RE: OT: Should I learn bash/C/python/perl/other

> > Well it's portable in that it's available on multiple
> platforms, but the
> > architects of the language don't worry too much about breaking old
> > programs with new versions of python, at least not when
> compared with
> > perl. In other words, an old perl program is still likely
> to work on a
> > new version of perl, which might not be the case for an old python
> > program and a new version of python.

As a language matures, compatibility with code written for old releases
improves.  The comments on having to rewrite python code when a new
release came out were true about perl a few years ago.  If you are really
old, new releases of C and sh caused grief during the late 70's early 80's.
Python will most likely stabilize over time.

Bob Styma