Re: Dual network adapters Fedora FC4 - problem reaching eth1 locally

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 16:49 +0100, Clive at Rational wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    Took me time to work this out
>
> Setup
>
> Router on 192.168.0.1
>
> PC 1 WinXP attaches with dynamic ip (DHCP)
>
> PC2 Linux FC4 attaches with fixed IP & DHCP
>
> PC2 has RealTek UTP NIC - is mapped to eth0 and is
> fixed address 192.168.0.2
>
> Address 192.1.68.0.10 is print server
>
> When PC2 has wireless ethernet installed, eth1, that
> picks up address via DHCP
>
> PC2 runs Samba
>
> When PC2 is connected to router only over eth1,
> wireless, and no cable is in eth0 - following happens
>
> PC2 can reach public internet sites through router
>
> Cannot reach from PC2 via mozilla browser nor ping any
> local address: 192.1.68.0.1 0.2 0.10
>
> on PC2  accessible from PC1
>
> All are declared unreachable on PC2
>
> If I disable eth0 on PC2, so all traffic "forced"
> through eth1 (Wireless) then all local IP addresses
> become reachable from PC2 and PC2 becomes reachable
> from PC1.
>
> Why is this?

I'd be inclined to keep the wired and wireless networks separate (i.e.
different subnets) and let the router route between them. Having
multiple NICs in the same machine on the same subnet is often
troublesome.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>