Re: OT: Should I learn bash/C/python/perl/other

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 06:10, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Furthering my research, it would seem that perl is good for this, as
> it appears to be installed in many more machines than python. Or
> should I go with C? lso, as I understand it, if I write in C I can
> compile for both windows and linux. Is that correct?

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but a huge advantage
of perl is that nearly anything that you might want to do has
already been done and contributed as a module on CPAN:
http://www.perl.com/CPAN/
You can browse this and download manually, or use the installed
CPAN module to pull and add these other modules easily.  You
can often end up needing only a few lines of your own code
to pass the options to these modules that do the real work.
You'll also find that many of these modules are wrappers for
things that have already been written as C libraries, so using
them will be much faster than writing your own pure perl version.
The maintenance of these modules varies, but it's better than
having to do it all yourself.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx