Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 18, Issue 104

stephen.walton@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Frank Chen wrote:

Is it possible to use lilo to boot FC4?

Why would you want to?  What can lilo do that grub cannot?
When I set up my server (mail, web, NAT, samba, nfs) I wanted Linux software RAID 1 for the boot disk. With lilo it was a piece of cake while the instructions for setting up grub were extensive and, at the time, experimental. Not saying this hasn't gotten fixed since then but this used to be a real problem and it's sort of inherent in the grub design. On the other hand, lilo recognizes that the boot disk is a RAID array and "does the right thing." I tested my setup by removing the IDE ribbon cable from each of the boot drive mirrors and the system comes up clean so I can even say it works based on personal experience.

Cheers,
Dave