Re: disabling file:///home/user viewing in apache on fc3

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Ankush Grover wrote:

On 8/10/05, Charles E. Rick Taylor, IV <tomalek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 16:02 +0530, Ankush Grover wrote:

If I do file:///home/user on the browser and then I  can see the
contents of that user's home directory ,even any user can see the root
or any other user's directory.I want to avoid this ,how can i disable
this on my computer. I am using FC3.
[...]

If I was able to browse the directories on one PC then I would have
thought some problem on that particular PC,but same thing was
happening on another FC3 .

This is what I did on the browser.

file:///root
file:///home/myhomedirectory which is me
file:///home/user   another user directory

I tried first with root to browse the directories I was able to see
all the users directories,and then I tried the same thing  with about
5 users even normal users where able to see the directories of the
root user and even can see the contents of the file If I click on any
file.

When I change the permissions in /home/* to 770 then it stopped
showing the directories through the browser.

Wait, what were permissions on home directories before you changed them?

Defaults for /home/* on FC4 are 700 and the uid and gid are individual for each user, i.e. ownership is user:user.

If you had all users in a single group and 750 or 770 permissions on /home/* then what did you expect?

What is the output of "ls -l /home"? What was it before you started changing stuff around?

One of the PC is fully updated with the latest patches and other one
is newly installed.I will again install FC3 in few days time then I
will check all the settings and let you know.

Thanks & Regards

Ankush Grover

Thanks & Regards

Ankush Grover