Re: making Samba work [not yet, it turns out]

On Fri August 5 2005 10:56 am, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Friday 05 August 2005 10:41 am, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > Anyway, did you ever tell us about how you realized the DNS setup within
> > your home network? As I tried to explain in past, if you call a host
> > with it's short hostname, the search entry in resolv.conf is used to
> > make it a FQDN. If that leads to a resolving name in public internet,
> > then that address will be used. I have the impression a cause of all
> > your problems might be a broken name resolving setup. You should too
> > check whether you run nscd. That service will cache.

I'm home now:
Re: your first question - I don't know how DNS is set up. If I set up
anything, I was not conscious I was doing it. My self-assigned reading
tonight is precisely this subject.
resolv.conf now contains two entries, the two DNS servers for my ISP
I just checked if nscd is running - it's not.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA