Building drivers from scratch

Greetings all,

Just opening the door to the Linux world, and since I'm doing so with a specific goal in mind (as opposed to just letting my curiosity carry me) I am hoping to get some direction. I have device in mind that I'd like to build which would interface with my computer, so I'm wondering what books I might want to start with to learn how to make drivers from scratch (USB, but I'm not certain yet). Any suggestions?

TIA

- josh