Palmpilot sync problems with both kpilot, jpilot, pilot-sync, ...

About a week ago, suddenly my palm pilot (tungsten t3) stopped sync'ing with one of my computers (usb cradle). I checked the cradle, the cables, the power, the connectors on the palm pilot, etc. - everything was fine. Running usbview the device shows up normally. Nothing unusual in /var/log/messages and dmesg showed nothing odd. I had done no new rpms for a couple of weeks, so I was at a loss. /dev/ttyUSB[01] were both created as normal, and one was linked to /dev/pilot.

I finally decided it might be a permissions problem, so I tried again as root. Same deal - usbview sees the device, and the devices get created. But no sync.

But since I could still sync with no problems at home, I didn't pursue the matter (very busy at work - new project with an impossible due date and no time to work on anything else).

Then Monday the same thing started happening at home as well. So I thought it was my palm pilot. But no, it can sync correctly with the same computer and in the same cradle if I boot to windoze. (But I had updated several RPMS at home, so there could be something there, although since the problem now occurs on 2 different boxen, I doubt that this is the cause). FWIW, it can also sync with my wife's laptop on her usb cradle (windoze again).

Any suggestions on how to debug this problem would be greatly appreciated. I have RTFM'ed until I had exhausted everything I could find.

Please help if you think you have an idea on this one.

Thanks,

--
William W. Austin                                 waustin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Life is just another phase I'm going through. this time, anyway ..."