Re: I think I need a sound/ALSA guru.

Hi;

I tried your suggestions yesterday.  Here is what happened.

On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 13:05 -0400, fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I went back and reread your previous posts on your sound problems.  Even
though I'm currently running FC3, I've seen an issue where my TV card,
which has a mixer, seems to interfere with the configuration of ALSA for
the motherboard sound devices.

How can I tell for certain that my TV card also has an intrusive mixer?
I have looked in tvtime and bttv as well as asound.conf and I couldn't see anything that looked like an additonal mixer -- but then what do I know?

The edits to asound.conf fixed this
problem for me.  You stated that the your edits to asound.conf keep
reverting back to the old values.  As a data point, it would be good to
know what the old and new values were/are.

# Generated by system-config-soundcard, do not edit by hand
defaults.pcm.card 0
defaults.ctl.card 0

In my case the zeroes
changed to ones and I manually changed them back.  The result of the
zeroes changing to ones was evident in alsamixer.  The only control I
saw was the TV card's volume (IIRC).  What do you see when you run
alsamixer?

[snip]
I am not sure what you mean.  I am going to try experimenting configuring asound.conf with all the suggestions I have received.  Didn't seem to help before, but maybe now that I have added the lines to my modprobe.conf the changes will stick long enough to tell me something.

I am running FC3 as opposed to FC4, so some things may have been
updated.  Here are a couple of things to try:

1.  Run /usr/bin/gst-register.  This fixed a problem for me where all of
the mixer(s) disappeared.

Ran gst-register-8.0 once again.  Changed nothing.

2.  Remove the TV Card, reboot and let kudzu correct modprobe.conf.

Save your modprobe.conf, if step 2 fixes anything, before reinstalling
your TV card.

asound.conf remained unchanged both before and after my ATI TV card was removed, and after it was returned. Kudzu was on.

audacity could still not find the i/o.
cd plays even when CD in mixer is off.

These are the pertinent entries in my modprobe.conf (an Intel sound
device):

alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-card-0 index=0
install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0

Wrote similar lines in my modprobe.conf.  There is some debate over whether it is necessary in FC4.  I found that it prevented my mixer settings from being changed -- I think.

I can't really say anything to your distortion issues, but possibly
getting the mixer issues under control may help.

Distortion issues fixed.  See earlier post to Alexander.

Regards Bill