Re: making Samba work [Solved]

On Tue August 2 2005 7:39 pm, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > yes, but what did I win? ;-)
>
> It explains why "smbclient -L StudyPC" did lead you to the foreign host.
> Why did you set "search com"? Anyway, has nothing to do with Samba or
> your setup problems at all.

I didn't set that - it's either a default setting, or it got set by my doing
something without the slightest idea that the effect was that I was changing
that setting....

> > correcting something here, help my FC4 box see my Windoz boxes? It seems
> > like the big problem derives from the following example error in the smb
> > logfile:
> >
> > [2005/08/02 16:16:31, 0] smbd/negprot.c:reply_nt1(293)
> >   reply_nt1: smb signing is incompatible with share level security !
>
> That is at least no correct setting. I do not understand why you did set
> it.

Again, if I set this (it was set to 'auto' when I found it and I turned it to
'disable') I had no idea I was doing so - lest I sound completely clueless
here, I do Windows network administration all day long for my work, so I'm
actually pretty careful when I mess with settings... According to your quote
below, 'auto' should not have resulted in the above message, anyway.

> > I've been trying to figure out what smb signing is about, but the
> > documentation isn't too helpful - I found one suggestion to delete the
> > security line, and one to change it to user!
>
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/smb.conf.5.html
>
> server signing (G)
>
>         This controls whether the server offers or requires the client
>         it talks to to use SMB signing. Possible values are auto,
>         mandatory and disabled.
>
>         When set to auto, SMB signing is offered, but not enforced. When
>         set to mandatory, SMB signing is required and if set to
>         disabled, SMB signing is not offered either.
>
>         Default: server signing = Disabled
>
> > I just want to share one folder on my FC4 machine to my Windows boxes,
> > which I can now do, and I want my FC4 box to have access to my Windows
> > machines - pretty much everything there.
>
> Why don't you just use the smb.conf as how it ships with Fedora's rpm
> and adjust it slightly? And being sure which each command stands for.
>
> Make sure your network setup is properly (IPs / netmask). You can test
> netbios host resolving by running
>
> nmblookup <name of your samba host>
>
> Again, to exclude problems like iptables blocking make sure "smbclient"
> and "smbstatus" on localhost gives proper results.

I tried this, but the clues left me clueless - however, you gave me an idea...
I created a new rule on my firewall, permitting ALL traffic between the inside
NIC and the Lan in BOTH directions. PRESTO - everything works now. So, the
question is, which additional port do I have to open up to make this all
work? Before opening all, I had 137���tcp/udp, 138���tcp/udp, 139���tcp,
445 ��tcp/udp open. Can someone tell what I'm missing?

The problem with your advice, Alexander, is that it's good; but you make
people work for the knowledge for themselves - I appreciate that ;-)

> http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/

I already have these, plus the entire manual, printed out in two huge
loose-leaf binders.

So, this is the smb.conf now, for those who read this in the future:

[global]
ldap ssl = No
restrict anonymous = no
server string = Samba