Re: Our (US) $s at work.

Joel Jaeggli wrote:

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Mike McCarty wrote:

Not possible. The length of the year is not a simple multiple of the
length of a day. Furthermore, the length of the day is not constant.

Lots of smart people think about time. There's no particular relationship between the solar day the lunar month and the earth year. our calender is essentially aribitary except for some convenient hacks that keep astronomical phenomena is sync with our arbitary calendar. we now have the ability to tell time using clocks fixed to physical constants, but that hasn't really informed on the arbitrary calendar yet.

Just another idiot on the bus...
joelja

I found that out after making the comment about 28 days for the moon cycle. The bad thing is that there is output on the net where the moon cycles in 29.x days. Anyway, the thread lead to investigating what notions were approximated during "science" in schools and assumptions made from the twilight zone.

Jim

--
Graduate life: It's not just a job.  It's an indenture.