won't boot off iso cd

I updated to 2.6.12 kernel without updating something else necessary, apparently and have hosed my system. The real problem is that it won't boot of disk. We had 2 64 bit systems have the kernel problem and the other is back up and running fine. The only disk I can get the second system to boot is off a 386 iso, which causes problems when I try and do anything (including chroot /mnt/sysimage) so I can't really rescue the system. I'd be ok with reinstalling, because I was just doing the initial system set-up anyway, but I can't figure out how to do that without being able to boot off a cd. The instructions I've found from booting from the network start with--boot from an iso cd (not helpful). Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Anne