Re: FC4 can't boot after updates

From: "Claude Jones" <claude_jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Mon August 1 2005 7:14 am, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Claude Jones wrote:
> A friend has just been possibly bit by the bug that emerged after a
> recent kernel update. I read Thomas Chung's piece in the recent
> FedoraNews about this, but he stresses that the workaround of running
> Kudzu to fix modprobe.conf has to occur  BEFORE the kernel update. Has
> anyone been able to fix a  system after the fact?

You still have the old kernel.  When you see the startup splash screen on
bootup, press a key.  That takes you to a menu of kernels.  Choose the
second-most recent option.

Then rpm -e the new kernel, run kudzu, and reinstall the new kernel.

Thanks, Matthew. I thought of the same thing, although I'd suggested he try to boot into a previous kernel. His problem is that the boot gets stuck right before the blue splash screen, when the word "grub" briefly flashes in the upper left hand corner of the screen - right at that point, his machine just stops. Any other suggestions?
boot using the rescue CD, chroot /mnt/sysimage, cd /boot/grub.

edit the grub.conf file using your favorite editor (I use joe) and remove the
"#" in front of hidemenu and increase the timeout option from 5 to 15 or 20.