No sound with AC97 soundcard/FC4/AC'97/snd-intel8x0 module

I think I'm stumped and would appreciate ideas on where to turn.

system-config-soundcard properly finds my Intel soundcard, but the test
sound does not play.  I have the same symptoms as posted by Gerrit Holl
on July 5, but what worked for him isn't working for me.

Tried the following, with no joy --

Running system-config-soundcard
turning up all volumes in alsamixer
blacklisting snd-intel8x0m modem sound driver.
rmmod snd-intel8x0 and modprobe snd-intel8x0 (install and remove)

I've gone so far as to remove the soundcard entry
in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf and removing the entries in /etc/modprobe.conf
to try to get the card found again by kudzu and reconfigured.  Based on
examples I've seen in Google, I think my modprobe.conf was incomplete
coming out of the installation.

I'm fairly confident that my modprobe.conf is in a bad state, but I have
not found a good sample for this card (most of the HOWTOs I've seen give
examples for SoundBlaster cards).  I'm also not sure how modprobe.conf
could go wrong from a clean install.

This card works fine under Windows AND worked fine under FC3.

For what it's worth, the display in system-config-soundcard is different
now than under FC3.  Now the Vendor is shown as 'Intel' and the
Model is shown as 'Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M)
AC'97 Audio Controller'

I'd appreciate any ideas on what to try, or even a look at a working
modprobe.conf with this card working.

Thanks for any help.    Erik