Re: Serious Problem

Colleen Beamer wrote:
> I can log in, but every time I issue a command, I get told that it's
> not found.  For instance, when I ran startx, it couldn't find the
> command.  When I ran ls, it couldn't find the command.  I even tried
> entering a path to the command, like /usr/bin/ls and /bin/ls, but to
> no avail.
>
> Today, I added a program which I installed via tarball and edited my
> .bash profile to make the permanent addition to my path.  Then, I
> rebooted and now, no commands will work.

Hi Colleen,

It sounds as if your $PATH is hosed.  Can you paste the relevant info
from your .bash_profile.

On a long shot, did you by chance do something like...

"export PATH=/path/to/new/program"

...when you should've done something like...

"export PATH=$PATH:/path/to/new/program"?

-j

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis     <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"If it's not on fire, then it's a software problem."