Re: Our (US) $s at work.

Dotan Cohen wrote:

On 7/30/05, taharka <res00vl8@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hmm.... laughing stock of the entire world but, longer lines of folks
breaking their necks to get into this country legally or illegally ;-)
Coming to the very country they're laughing at :-))

taharka

Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.

Now why do you think that is?

Read the book entitled "Alien Nation" ISBN 0-679-43058-X & you'll get your answer ;-)

taharka

Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.

Hi,

I had considered emailing a comment about this discussion earlier, but didn't think that a Fedora list would be the appropriate forum.

I have since reconsidered.

Regarding the comment that the U.S. has the best social assistance in the world ... well .. this is not accurate (see UN statistics to verify this).

Second, most of the people that are lined up at the U.S. borders are there for that one very insidious reason: the desire for a decent job to obtain a better life for themselves and their family (okay, and maybe the weather too). If the right were really concerned about the employment current U.S. citizens, you'd think that they'd speak up about corporations outsourcing, in massive numbers, to foreign countries. Now, why do you think the right hesitates to criticize corporations? Why do you think that is?

Finally, I found Alien Nation to be banal in its usual right-wing alarmist pornography. It's ironic that a country that resents immigrants because some of its citizens believe that they drain the economy is the strongest in the world, an economy that has been built by educated and uneducated immigrants.

And, no, I'm not anti-American. I think there's much greatness to be found in the U.S. But, greatness is an extreme, just as America is a country of extremes. But, if I could get another decent job there, I'd be back, lining up at the border :)

Paul Hoy
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
(although I lived in LA for six years)