vertical color bars appearing in menus

Running FC4 with KDE 3.4.2
This machine is an upgrade from FC3. In many menus, small, translucent
vertical colored bars appear over individual letters that are underlined in
menus, It first appeared everywhere after the upgrade, including in Kmenu and
most programs and even  the login screen. Since then, they've disappeared
from most of the above, but they still linger in some programs and on the
login screen. Unfortunately, I have no idea what changed. For a screen grab,
you can look here:
http://www.levitjames.com/kdecolorbars.html
I logged into Gnome yesterday, and the problem persisted in a couple of
programs (Kyum is one for example). I've tried all the items in the desktop
configuration, changing styles, widgets, etc. I looked at the xorg conf file
for anything obvious. I've posted this over at KDE-Redhat but no one there is
getting it, save one individual who got rid of it by playing with his widget
settings.
Anyone else getting this?
--
Claude Jones