OT? limit buffer-cache

Is it possible to limit the amount of memory used for
file caching? The majority of my data is read/written
in streaming mode and there is no benefit in storing
it in cache. I would rather retain the memory as free
memory and hopefully improve response-times, rather
than have to flush cache to disk before I can get
enough memory to load an application.

In fact, what would be really nice, would be the
option to mount a filesystem so that it doesnt
use the cache at all...

Cheers,
Terry.