Re: Fedora and NTFS

Mike McCarty wrote:
Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:

After the installation, you can download the ntfs kernel module from
livna and mount ntfs partitions. During installation, ntfs file systems
are not available. Read the FAQ.

The FAQ for this list states one should not top-post.

I have a setup similar to his (XP and Linux on separate
partitions), and would like to do similar. I am under
the impresson from several sources that the NTFS support
under Linux is incomplete. I did look into the "captive
NTFS" using a Knoppix boot, but was unable to do a
successful install.

NTFS _READ_ operations are supported under Linux--provided you install
the NTFS filesystem RPM (available from many different places such as
livna).  Most of the NTFS RPMs available are read-only filesystems.

There are NTFS RPMs that will do read/write, but writing to NTFS will
almost guarantee a chkdisk being invoked when Windows is booted next
time.  Depending on how or what was written (e.g., if you extend a
file or create a new one), the the filesystem may be unrecoverable by
chkdisk, and that's what's meant by "incomplete support".

It's best to treat NTFS filesystems as read-only even if you install the
read/write NTFS module.  In other words, write to NTFS from Linux at
your own risk and don't be surprised if you hose the filesystem.
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
- ...Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in terror -
-                      and you'd be on your own, pal!                -