Re: VVDQ : Is there hope for Lexmark??

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 22:05:27 +0200, nodata wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 14:52 -0400, beartooth wrote:
> [snip]
>> Remember that I have little idea what I am talking about.
>
> You can use the hplip package to do this - it's in Fedora testing.

I'm delighted to hear that -- many thanks!

But I mean it with the .sig line that you quoted above : VVDQ is for Very
Very Dumb Question. Fedora testing scares me. Is it really ready for dumb
looks??

I still need a lot of help with the things I do do; I don't try to work
from source code, and I don't even try commands like "make" or "build" or
"install" -- actually, I avoid tarballs, and nowadays even rpms as much as
I can. Any idea if it may soon be possible to do "yum install hplip"?? Or
at least "rpm -ivh" from an rpm that says fc4??

> Just download the package from the http site, rename the "hp" to
> "lexmark", and install. Voila - a working Lexmark printer driver.

Hmmm.... by "the http site" do you mean

http://freshmeat.net/projects/hplip/ -- or maybe

http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/ -- or something else?

Freshmeat says it's alpha!

I run betas of browsers -- and I guess Pan is officially still beta, too,
since the version number still starts with 0 -- but I get in troubles too
big for me doing it, too, at times. I can't seem to cope with the
galeon/mozilla dependencies, for instance, with the time, skills, and
patience I have. Alphas are beyond me.

Also, the sourceforge site says to check the Products Supported list --
which lists only hp hardware, afaict, naturally enough -- for whether to
use hpijs instead. Is the lexmark X1185 by any chance a clone of some hp
model??

But let me say again how delighted I am to hear that somebody is indeed
working on something. And between you and me and the list, it would be a
nice surprise for my wife, who isn't into computers any more than
absolutely necessary, to find a nice new HP color-printer/scanner/copier
next to her desk downstairs, instead of the poor old b&w antique that only
still prints if you feed it one page at a time ....

Many many thanks! Strength to their arms! Long may they live, thrive, and
prosper!

--
Beartooth Neo-Redneck, Linux Evangelist
FC4, YDL 4; Pine 4.63, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3;