Re: SHRED for EXT3?

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 13:41 -0400, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 13:09, Laurence wrote:

> > > Possibly encrypt the data in the first place?
> > >
> > > http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6481
> > >
> > > --
> > > Robin Laing
> > >

> > how about opening the file & writing zeros to it?
>
> I don't remember the specs but there are specifications published by the
> U.S. Government for what constitutes secure deletion of files from
> magnetic media.  This requires a certain number of rewrites over the
> same sectors the file was in and I think a specific set of patterns.
>
> Over writing a file once is usually not sufficient.  There are residual
> traces of what was written to the drive that with the right tools can be
> recovered in some cases.
>
> Of course if you are disposing of a hard drive the only secure method of
> disposal is to take a hammer to it.  A few years ago a study was
> conducted where they bought used hard drives from ebay.  A variety of
> recovery methods were used and the researchers were able to recover a
> wide variety of personal information including SSNs, credit cards, etc.
> on a significant number of the drives purchased.
>

> --
> Scot L. Harris
> webid@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> No matter what happens, there is always someone who knew it would.

The US Department of Defense clearing standard is DOD 5220.22-M
Peter Gutmann wrote a paper for USENIX that addresses this. Available
at:
http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/sec96/full_papers/gutmann/

Some F/OSS option to erase data at this level are
Darik's Boot and Nuke
http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Wipe
http://wipe.sourceforge.net/

However the only tried & true methods of being sure the data can't be
recovered is either longterm exposure of the media in question to
temperatures in excess of 1500 degrees C (oxy-acetylene works fine) or
multiple applications of high velocity lead slugs at medium range

As an added benefit, both serve to relieve stress & frustration :-)

--
Tony Placilla, RHCT
anthony_placilla@xxxxxxxx

J.O.A.T.

GPG-Key-ID: 1024D/C78F8B64              http://pgp.mit.edu
Key fingerprint = A8D5 7AFF CE88 4179 C792  D9A9 F197 2A15 C78F 8B64