Re: disk partitioning problem (ignore the first e-mail I did not mean to send that one)

Jeff Vian wrote:
On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 18:56 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:

[snip]

I stand by my recommendations. First get a system which can boot
WinXP, and can boot Linux using GRUB on a floppy. Then install the
GRUB on the boot sector of the intended boot disc, and let the
XP boot manager manage the boot. When that works, if one is
adventurous enough, one can try saving the MBR to a file on a floppy,
and try installing GRUB (or whatever) into the MBR. It won't work
from there on my machine. If GRUB won't work from there, then the MBR
can be replaced.

All of us have different hardware. Some hardware is picky and has to be
treated with kid gloves and babied.  Most is very standard and "just
works".

I think the use of the term FsCKED UP DISINFORMATION was extreme.

If you read the archives here, very few have ever had the extreme
problems you relate, although I do not doubt your word or experiences.

Hmm. That contrasts with your use of the term DISINFORMATION.

Certainly some brand name boxes are configured to not allow changes of
software, and some go into disaster-recovery mode if the boot sector has
been rewritten (can you say BIOS protected with a hidden recovery
partition).

That is exactly my situation. And the situation with many people using
Compaq/HP equipment.

I still stand by my comment.  Do not spread FUD about your unique
circumstances as if they are the rule rather than the exception.
_Standard_ hardware does not have that issue, while _some_ brand name
specific hardware does.

Well, either you don't know the meaning of the acronymn, or think
that the use of that term is not offensive to the one against whom
it is used. I'm accustomed to politer language on this forum.

There is a lot of Compaq/HP equipment out there for sale. I don't
consider it to be Non-Standard.

And even if the install works 99+% of the time, that is no comfort
for the one who gets bitten. A slow but sure step-by-step procedure
is much better, especially when dealing with someone who does not
know what a disc partition is. It's much easier to recover when one
has his feet under him, and is familiar with other boot techniques
from the outset, and knows exactly at what step things failed.

Mike