Re: Any way to erase just one RPM if multiple architectures exist?

  a timely post i just sent to the RPM list, related to package names.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:54:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: RPM Package Manager <rpm-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Any way to erase just one RPM if multiple architectures exist?

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, John Caruso wrote:

> At Tuesday 08:15 AM 7/19/2005, German Cancio wrote:
> > > Am I missing some option that will allow this?
> >
> > try rpm -e <package>.<arch> eg. rpm -e vte.x86_64 - you can also specify
> > the version number (rpm -e vte-0.11.11-6.x86_64)
>
> Thanks, that did it.  Am I missing something, or is this completely
> missing from the man page?  Or in other words, where did you come
> across this knowledge?  I couldn't find it in the man page or with
> Google.  And it's not obvious...I knew you could use (e.g.) vte or
> vte-<version>, of course, but I didn't have any reason to suspect
> that adding .<arch> would work also.
>
> Seems like this info should find its way into the man page (again,
> if I'm not just missing it), especially as 64-bit Redhat variants
> become more popular.

as far as the man page is concerned, there's a fairly loose definition
of "PACKAGE_NAME" in terms of what you can use in various rpm
commands.

for instance, consider the "gimp" package on FC4.  the binary rpm file
is "gimp-2.2.7-4.i386.rpm".  this allows you to use any of the
following to, say, query for the existence of that package:

  $ rpm -q gimp
  $ rpm -q gimp-2.2.7
  $ rpm -q gimp-2.2.7-4
  $ rpm -q gimp-2.2.7.i386
  $ rpm -q gimp.i386

that's probably worth a mention somewhere early on the man page.

rday