Re: Why use "su -" rather than "su"

Mike McCarty wrote:
Hmm. So I give up my regular editor in return for not having to type /sbin/

Well, I think I'll go along the way I am. I'm a pretty good typist.

I thought there might be a *real* reason, and I had missed something. I
was wondering if there might be some subtle problems which would bite
me later.

When using "su -", you get root's environment. It is inherently safer to do tasks in environment that is not poluted with regular user's settings.

If you all you want is your favorite editor that is installed in non-standard location, you might consider:

a) make symbolic link to it from /usr/bin, or
b) edit root's initialization file in /root to add editor to the PATH variable.

You may also want to edit root's initialization files in /root to set EDITOR environment variable to /path/to/your/editor, so that various program that need to invoke editor (for example "crontab -e") will invoke your editor of choice.

Personally, I'm comfortable with standard vi editor, and once you are past its basic usage, you'd get root's tasks done much quicker in it than in any other editor (the "dot" command rules ;-)