Re: WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

On Thursday 14 July 2005 08:20, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
>On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 01:37:55PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> Unfortunately, recovering from such kind of breakage is
>> non-trivial and often impossible ...
>
>Is it? The repairdb page on rpm.org has always worked for me.
>http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/repairdb/
>
>Emmanuel

I was going to follow these instructions, but there is no lib in
the /mnt/sysimage/var path.  None, nada, zip.  I left it with
memtest86 running, but I note something odd, I have a version 3.0 on
a floppy thats many moons old now, but the version on the rescue cd
says its 1.55.  Why is a very valuable testing tool thats probably 6
or 7 years old being used today?

And, what happened to the boot option 'linux single' which used to
mount everything in r/w & drop you to a shell?  That did a normal
boot up to the point where it should have started X, but x is now
fubar & gets into a loop of a blue screen with an X, then going
black, then repeat, each time doing it more slowly until the blue
screen becomes contaminated with stray data.  At that point I 3
fingered it.

FC4 looked pretty good, till I turned yum loose to update it, useing
only the contents of /etc/yum.repo.d as just installed.  And yum
proved once more that it exists only to commit hari-kari.  Only this
time it took the whole, freshly installed & apparently 100% working,
system down with it.

After memtest runs a couple of loops, I'm going to do a clean install
one more time.  But as a test, I'm going to reenable the main repo
addresses in those files, screw the mirrors.  Before I do a yum
update again.

Seriously folks, stuff like this should never be allowed out the door,
and we need an FC4-1 release that fixes whatever the hell is screwing
this up.

But you have to understand that by now, there is no way in hell I'd
touch this working FC2 system with an FC4 install.  This one may not
have a working yum, and has enough tarballs installed, largely
because of FC2's long standing bugs re cups vs kde, that apt-get
wants to remove about 90 packages from the heart of the system just
to "clean it up".

yum seems intent on destroying yum, at least on this FC2 system.
It never heard of the hypocratic oath, first, do no harm.

It was yum that destroyed yum here, by installing an incompatible
libxml2.so that no one can tell me how to fix, other than going back
to the original cd's and forceably reinstalling that yum and all the
xml & python related stuff.  I've done that three times now, but will
have to burn another set of FC2 cd's before I can do that again.  I
ditched mine when FC4 final came out.  Silly boy...

If and when I ever get an FC4 install working again, is there a
sequence I should be using so that things get updated in the right
order next time?  Like resetting /etc/inittab to 3, so x isn't
running when yum tries to update it, and other things like that need
to be known?
?????

--
No Cheers, Gene