Re: RPM newbie: howto install mplayer under fc4?

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:23:03 +0200, Gábor Iglói wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to get familiar with rpm package management. I'd like to
> set up mplayer under FC4. I've found the mplayer package on the
> freshrpms home page but I can't install it - because it has
> dependencies. As I used only apt before I don't know how to do this
> under Fedora. Plz anybody can tell me how should I set up mplayer?
>
> Regards,
> Gábor

Fedora comes with two "super" package managers: apt and yum. They both run
on top of rpm (i.e. call rpm to install something), but in addition, they
solve dependencies. I have the impression that more people prefer yum to
apt.

With yum you would do:

yum install mplayer

Now mplayer is not in fedora core nor extras, due licencing, but it is in
the livna repository (livna.org). By default yum does not search the livna
repository. To make it look there, create a file
/etc/yum.repos.d/livna.repo with the following contents:

[livna]
name=Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages
baseurl=http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/RPMS.lvn
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://rpm.livna.org/RPM-LIVNA-GPG-KEY

Then it will bring mplayer and all its dependencies.

Of course, if you prefer apt, you can do first

yum install apt

then use apt as you did before.