IP-Forwarding

I'm running FC3 2.6.11-1.35_FC3 on a server motherboard with 2 NICs. I've been advised that to have IP forwarding (e.g., between subnets off those NICs (I'll add a third NIC for Internet access), I must add the command

   echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

to the /etc/rc.d/boot.local. This person also advises that "I may want to do the echo command last and include "0" in the init scripts, since it opens up your network for a short time." But he's a SuSE guru, not a Fedora Core guru.

My questions are these: a) is this really necessary, or does the kernel already include IP forwarding built in? b) As FC3 does not have a boot.local file, where would I put this command, if it is, in fact, necessary? At the end of /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd, just ahead of the exit $RETVAL? Just after exit $RETVAL?
   c) What about that 0?  Where, specifically, should it go?

Thanks for your help.

Eric Hines

--
He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man
I ever met.