Re: owner of /etc /boot and / (related to can't su thread???)

At 6:30 PM +0900 7/8/05, Shawn wrote:

>> > If you did really execute above command "chown -R jr /", then ownership
>> > change happened recursive so that too the owner below those dirs
>> > changed. You should use "find -uid N" to find out. All /boot content is
>> > root owned, nearly everything below /etc should so too.
>> >

>> Not everything under /et is root owned.  From an "everything" install:
>
>Would an upgrade to FedoraCore 4 correct the permissions of those files?

You may be able to fix the problem using RPM.  It has the ability to verify
its packages, it may also be able to fix them.  I can't look it up at the
moment, and anyway you really want someone with actual experience to say
how to do it, say Paul Howarth.  RPM can check all installed packages at
once; though you do need to run it as root for that work -- hopefully
you're past that part now.

After RPM does what it can, you'd want to "find" any remaining jr's and
then ask the list about them.

You can even use RPM to verify what you might have changed "back" by other
means.