Re: owner of /etc /boot and / (related to can't su thread???)

Mike McCarty wrote:
Alexander Dalloz wrote:

Am Fr, den 08.07.2005 schrieb Shawn um 8:13:

quite recently I mistakenly did something like chown -R jr /

[snip]

I wonder if etc and boot shouldn't properly be owned by root?

Sure, they have to be root owned.

They *have* to be root ownership? What is there which will not function
if they are not root ownership?

Anything that was originally owned by root will "work" as before, but represents a potential security issue as user "jr" will now have access to them and that user should not have that access.

Anything that was originally owned by a different user than root is likely not to work, because the process that needs to access that data will be running as the correct userid, not "jr".

Paul.