Re: FC 4 Parallel Printer Configuration Troubles

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 18:19 -0400, Seth P. Robinson wrote:
> Any assistance with the following conundrum would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> hardware: hp ze4220 laptop (i386 arch)
> hp DeskJet 842c
>
> I recently installed FC 4 and am struggling to install and configure
> my hp Deskjet 842c. I have tried the GUI tools in KDE and GNOME and
> have given CUPS and gimp-print a shot, but to no avail. The problem
> seems to lie in that the printer is connected to my laptop via a
> parallel port.
>
> I hope that the following might aid the diagnosis of this problem:
>
> 1.
> input:        [root@laptop ~]# lpadmin -d hpdeskjet842c
> output:   lpadmin: Unable to connect to server: Connection refused
>
> (note: lpstat does not work either in terminal)

Not sure about this - maybe /var/log/messages might say something.

> 2.
> input:         /usr/sbin/ptal-init setup
> output:
>
> Stopping the HP OfficeJet Linux driver.

[snip]

I previously had a DeskJet 842c and used the hpij driver with no
problem.  Maybe try yum install hpij and use the Printing dialog under
System Settings - make sure to choose hpij as the driver.