Re: simple ping; pinging 101

On 7/6/05, Lai Zit Seng <lzs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In this case, it is probably best to simply 'up' only specifically the
> network interface of the respective NIC you want the experiment to use :)

ok, I follow you there.  The intent of having two distinct experiments
is to isolate the two NIC's, so disabling one of the NIC's certainly
makes sense in that context.

> What are the experiments supposed to achieve/demonstrate/etc? Perhaps you
> could consider to use different subnet addresses, one each for the NICs on
> arrakis, and then both subnet addresses configured together (ip aliasing)
> on the same interface of caladan.

sure, the IP addresses are completly arbitrary at this stage.
basically, though, you're over my head with that.

what's the purpose of the experiments?
the intent is to twofold: to test the hardware and to create a
baseline.  for instance, I started with a crossover cable because the
hub was old, used and an unknown.  also, it wasn't always clear that
both NIC's actually worked.  I've now established that the hub works,
so I can get rid of the crossover cable.  IP masquerading, DHCP are a
bit much for me at the moment.  being able to reliably send a ping
from either arrakis NIC will always be something to come back to.  If
I can do that then I'll be more comfortable with adding IP aliasing,
DHCP, etc on top of that foundation.  alternatively, if I can't
reliably ping it seems to me that everything would be built on a shaky
foundation.  ping seems to be the base for everything else.  the
various settings might be drastically different, of course.

this is why my initial question was:

"what's wrong with arrakis eth1, please?"

and it appears that the routing and arrakis eth0 are interfering with
arrakis eth1.  so, to "fix" arrakis eth1, sure, disable arrakis eth0
and change the routing.  (and vice versa for the other NIC in
arrakis.)  in retrospect, a better question would've been "how can
arrakis ping caladan from the D-Link NIC?" followed by "how can
arrakis ping caladan from the built in NIC?"

thanks,

Thufir