Re: Fortran 77 and Fedora core 4

On Mon, 2005-07-04 at 19:35 -0400, Peter Teuben wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005, Stefan Hoelldampf wrote:
>
> > Hoffmann wrote:
> >
> > > I just installed Fedora core 4 on my machine, and I
> > > realized that from GCC 4.0 I got Fortran 95 (g95).
> > > However, I would like to compile a program on my
> > > machine that needs Fortran 77 (g77) to compile it.
> > > Could anyone, please, let me know how could I handle
> > > that? Should I install a older GCC as well? If
> > > affirmative, that would cause conflicts to the last
> > > GCC I  got from Fedora? Any other suggestion?
> > > Thanks a lot in advance!
> > > Best,
> >
> > The package "compat-gcc-32-g77" should do the trick.
>

> i installed gcc4 on another machine, and the executable for fortran was
> called 'g95' there, whereas FC4 has it named 'gfortran'.... I don't
> understand why they can't make an alias to f77, since they always seem to
> do it for cc also.

Hi Peter,

The new GCC v4 Fortran front-end (gfortran) is a complete re-write.  It
has some (mostly minor) problems that still need to be worked out.  In
the mean time, most folks who need backwards compatibility simply
install an older version of GCC and use it in conjunction with the older
g77.  This is exactly what the Fedora folks are doing in FC4.

Please see http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/ for more details.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD