Re: File Types and Associations ???

Scott Talbot wrote:

[snip]

[I wrote]

When I go to the properties dialog box I get these options:

   GNOME PDF VIEWER
   OTHER APPLICATION

I see no "add button".

If I select GNOME PDF VIEWER, it comes up and does its thing.
If I select OTHER APPLICATION, I get the dialog I mentioned above.
There is no "add" button on that dialog box. That box has these buttons

for "ggv" there is a "Modify" button (I can select which of 3 to modify) for "File types and programs" there is a "Go there" button which acts as
      described above
   at the bottom are "Help", "Cancel", and "Ok"

Thanks for the reply.

Mike

Sorry, I think I assumed you were using FC3 or 4. The answer is in the dialog you saw when you selected "go there" from the context menu. It has been many months since I have used that. Same with the File Types and programs! Don't worry that it doesn't display the full path once acroread is selected though, Fedora knows where it is at. If you want to be sure you could make a link somewhere, say in /usr/bin, that would at least make it easier to find. To do that, Open a terminal, cd to /usr/bin and issue the command
ln -s /usr/local/Acrobat5/bin/acroread .
make sure you include that final period - it points to the current directory.

Any way try that out, and I'll see if I can massage my memory cells a bit more...

Scott

Yes, I did what you suggest, and it does *not* open PDF files with
acrobat. It also does not have an option to open PDF files with
acrobat. I know how links work. Thanks for the suggestion, I had
thought of it.

If I double click on a PDF file, it automatically opens it with the
GNOME PDF viewer. If I right click, I get

   Open
   Open With
   Cut File
   Copy File
   Make Link
   Rename
   Move to trash
   Create Archive
   Properties

Open opens like a double click.
Open With leads to the menu we discussed, which does NOT
have an acroread option. It does what I discussed above. When
it is selected it offers two options:
   GNOME PDF VIEWER
   Other Application
The others I guess we all know what they do.

Open With->Other Application behaves as I described above.

Thanks for you time.

Mike