Re: Wireless cards

Brian Fahrlander wrote:
On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 20:34 -0700, jdow wrote:

From: "John Summerfied" <debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I have a couple of Prism54 cards that work well. Some (at least) Atheros-based cards are fine, and I note d-link is now labelling its product to indicate which use TI, which use Atheros.

Um, do you have the Linux driver for those atheros chips or are you
using NDIS? And do you use WPA? My laptop will need to be WPA aware
with the D-Link Atheros chipset three band beastie. (At least it will
"someday.") I have the pieces. But it looks like I'll have to rebuild
the Atheros stuff I have with the WPA files as well. Poo what a (small)
annoyance.

   Ya know, the way to sell cards of the vendors would be to suggest the
ones that work w/o NDIS on this list....and every other Linux list you
can find.

It's a moving target. I bought a couple of Netcomm (an Australian manufacturer/distributor) cards. However, their new cards have TI chips.

   Right now I couldn't possibly afford a laptop, but things can and
will change...and I'd like to know ahead of time.  In short:

   What kind of wireless card (say, the basic 11mps type) should I buy?

I'd not buy an 11b card. Apart from speed, they don't do the latest security and WEP is inherently broken.

I think Centrino's okay, but you'd need to ask at the time.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait