Re: Change Disk from IDE to SCSI using dd, what else ?

Eduardo J. Vega A writes:

Hello guys... I got already FC3 installed at /dev/hda but I need to move it to /dev/scd

The first SCSI hard drive is /dev/sda. There is no /dev/scd device, /dev/scd0 is the first SCSI CD-ROM drive.

I know that I can move them by using dd, but, what else do I may need to change ?

Quite a bit.

1) Grub ? Which config files ? Should I do any other stuff rather than modify the new path at the Config files ?
2) FSTAB ?
3) Others ?

Grub is the least of your worries. Depending on how you about doing this, all that will be needed to make grub happy is some monkeying around with device.map.

The tricky part is that you need to create a new initrd that loads the right combination of SCSI kernel modules.

I suggest the following approach, instead. You don't need to get your hands dirty doing it this way.

1) Jot down exactly what warez you have installed on your existing disk; specifically the fedora packages, and any RPMs you installed yourself.

2) Disconnect your IDE drive, and attach your SCSI drive. Take your Fedora CD or DVD set, boot it, and do a clean install of Fedora on your SCSI drive. When you select which packages to install, consult your notes and select the package set that matches what you already have installed. Also, make note of which partition goes with which /dev/sd? device.

3) Reattach your IDE drive, keep the SCSI drive connected. When you reboot, you should boot off the IDE drive. Most hardware boots IDE before SCSI. With some motherboards it's possible to get them to boot of SCSI first, but the interactions between that and Grub may not be pretty, so don't mess with it.

4) You can then mount your SCSI drive as /dev/sd?, then copy your home directories and any non-system files you need to the SCSI drive. Disconnect the IDE drive permanently, and you will now have a clean system booting off your SCSI drive.

Do not try to copy your entire system from in step 4. You have a good chance of turning the SCSI disk into an unbootable brick, if you're not really careful in avoiding the hotspots of /boot, /etc and maybe a few other places. If you blow it, you'll need to start over from step 1. On the other hand, you can use this as an opportunity to tweak the sizes of your partitions. You do not need to partition the SCSI drive exactly like your IDE drive (which you would need to do, down to the last sector, if you were going to use dd).

If you've been a nice boy, if you've installed everything using RPM, and did not do anything by hand, all you need to do is get the same set of RPMs loaded on both disks. If you manually mount the SCSI partitions in the right order, then you can open up a separate terminal window, chroot yourself to the root directory of the SCSI drive, and do a side-by-side comparison of what's installed on which box, with rpm. So all you need to do by hand is copy the home directories.