RE: Local Yum Repo HowTo On Line

> around. I

HD?
> Why
> something?
> > >
> > > That would work equally well but David is assuming (rightly) that
most
> > > people will already have the CD/DVD (or at least the ISOs, which
are
> > > equivalent) from which they've done the OS install, so why
download
> > > everything again?
> >
> > Sorry Paul!
> >
> > I meant the files createrepo /var/www/html/yum/base created. From
the
> > repo.htm this is what I assumed was the purpose of copying the files
> > from the CD/DVD. Hence, have I missed something? While Red Hat 6.2
was
> > supported, I just ftp'd the updates into a directory "updates".
> > Incidentally, I have two boxes, one an Intel and the other an Alpha.
>
> Ah, I see. It doesn't really matter where you get the files from as
long
> as you maintain their relationship to each other directory-wise. For
> instance, on download.fedora.redhat.com, the structure is:
>
> Fedora -> RPMS -> all-rpm-files
> repodata
>
> So to get from the repodata directory to the actual packages you
> go ../Fedora/RPMS
>
> You'd need to maintain this relationship if you just copied the files
> from there, so you'd have to have something like:
>
> /var/www/html/yum/base/Fedora/RPMS/*.rpm
> /var/www/html/yum/base/repodata
>
> Using createrepo locally allows you to save a level of hierarchy and
is
> actually probably faster than downloading the metadata anyway.
>
> Note that for the "updates" area, the document does suggest copying
the
> metadata along with the packages, just as you did for Red Hat 6.2.
>
> Paul.
> --
> Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

[Tim Holmes]
Good Morning -- This is a fascinating thread, as I am planning to
establish an FC3 Repo in the next week or two.  There have been some
significant path changes etc discussed, and I was wondering if the
originator of the thread could post an updated procedure for us newer
users to follow?

If I can be of assistance in helping to get this done, please let me
know

TIM