Re: How do you install an sh program? -- follow-up

Paul Howarth wrote:

Benjamin Sher wrote:

Paul Howarth wrote:

Benjamin Sher wrote:

Dear friends:

I assure you that the Readme.txt file for XnView does NOT have any installation instructions. That would be the first place I would check.

Just run the "install" script (as root).

# ./install

Paul.

Dear Paul:

That's precisely what I tried to do originally, but to no avail. What does this error message mean, please?

Benjamin

[sher@localhost XnView-1.68-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost XnView-1.68-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static]# ls
app-defaults  Formats.txt  lib  nconvert.sh  Usage.txt     xnview.sh
bin           install      man  ReadMe.txt   WhatsNew.txt
[root@localhost XnView-1.68-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static]# ./install
 OS  : Linux, version 2.6.9-5.0.5.EL
./install: line 26: syntax error near unexpected token `('
./install: line 26: `   uid=*(root)*)'
[root@localhost XnView-1.68-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static]#

It means the author of the install script doesn't write portable code, or hasn't tried running it himself.

Edit the install script and change the line:

        uid=*(root)*)

to:

        uid=*\(root\)*)

Paul.

Dear Paul:

Very kind of you indeed. I would have never figured out a thing. Not often that an author will mess up his install file.

The program installed fine, but when I try to launch it, it doesn't come on. What should I do?

May I ask if you could looke at the two output results below (one after install and one after launch) and tell me what command I need now?

[root@localhost XnView-1.68-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static]# ./install
 OS  : Linux, version 2.6.9-5.0.5.EL
This script will install nview/nconvert/xnview in the /usr/local/bin directory
You must add to the PATH environment variable /usr/local/bin
 and /usr/local/lib to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Done!
[root@localhost XnView-1.68-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static]#
[sher@localhost XnView-1.68-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static]$ xnview
** XnView v1.68.1 Copyright 1991-2004 Pierre-E Gougelet (Feb 17 2004/13:52:01) **
       Version for Linux x86/Motif (All rights reserved)
** This is freeware software (for non commercial use)

    Type xnview -help, for more information

Thank you again.

Benjamin