Re: Local Yum Repo HowTo On Line

On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 11:45 -0700, Bob R. Taylor wrote:

> > > Very good! However, why the need to copy all the CD/DVD onto the HD? Why
> > > not grab the files from Red Hat or a mirror? Have I missed something?
> >
> > That would work equally well but David is assuming (rightly) that most
> > people will already have the CD/DVD (or at least the ISOs, which are
> > equivalent) from which they've done the OS install, so why download
> > everything again?
>
> Sorry Paul!
>
> I meant the files createrepo /var/www/html/yum/base created. From the
> repo.htm this is what I assumed was the purpose of copying the files
> from the CD/DVD. Hence, have I missed something? While Red Hat 6.2 was
> supported, I just ftp'd the updates into a directory "updates".
> Incidentally, I have two boxes, one an Intel and the other an Alpha.

Ah, I see. It doesn't really matter where you get the files from as long
as you maintain their relationship to each other directory-wise. For
instance, on download.fedora.redhat.com, the structure is:

Fedora -> RPMS -> all-rpm-files

repodata

So to get from the repodata directory to the actual packages you
go ../Fedora/RPMS

You'd need to maintain this relationship if you just copied the files
from there, so you'd have to have something like:

/var/www/html/yum/base/Fedora/RPMS/*.rpm
/var/www/html/yum/base/repodata

Using createrepo locally allows you to save a level of hierarchy and is
actually probably faster than downloading the metadata anyway.

Note that for the "updates" area, the document does suggest copying the
metadata along with the packages, just as you did for Red Hat 6.2.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>