Re: Wireless cards

Mike McCarty wrote:

> John Summerfied wrote:

>> If you have a linux driver, you (probably) have the source and can
>> fix it, hire someone to fix it etc etc just as with any other Linux
>> software.
>>

> I was reacting to the implicit "But a Linux driver is a Good
> Thing(tm)".  I don't like the "Windows X is a Bad Thing(tm) but Linux
> X is a Good Thing(tm)" attitude so often manifested in Certain
> Circles.

Under Linux a Linux driver is a good thing.  Under Windows a Windows
driver is a good thing.  I think wires are getting crossed here, since
the words quoted below are yours:

>>> IMO, the fewer fingers in the pie, generally, the better. Making
>>> drivers from one OS try to run on another does not sound like a good
>>> idea to me.  Whether they be Windows or Linux or whatever is
>>> irrelevant.

Which is exactly right, give to Caesar what is Caesar's.

>>> In my experience, they fix it, and offer upgrades by free download
>>> from their
>

>> If it doesn't work under Linux? you gotta be joking.

> Read the question I answered.
>
> "What do you do if the Windows driver's broken?"
>
> I did not see where that question has anything related to Linux in it.
>
> It helps, when responding to e-mail, actually to read what is being
> written in its context.

This is true.  Part of the context is the discussion of ndiswrapper
that had gone on previously, and the fact that this thread is on Fedora-
list.  If the Windows driver is broken on ndis you have little recourse,
because it might work perfectly under Windows.  I suppose I failed to
see where the question had nothing related to Linux in it.  If the
driver is broken on Windows of course you throw yourself on the
manufacturer's mercy and hope for the best.  (And have you really tried
this?  I'm here to tell you it doesn't always work.)

This thread started with someone asking what wireless cards would work
under FC4.  While Windows-only cards will work under ndis there is
more mileage in picking something that has proper Linux support. I
don't see that point being under contention.

--
imalone